Friday, June 12, 2009

WA DC with Brother D

A rainy day to visit our nation's capitol.   D got capitol tour tickets from his congresswoman, so we are on our way.

The tour takes you inside the rotunda.  We lunched at the Capitol visitor's center.  

Then we walked to the American Museum of Natural History to see the Hope Diamond, among other wonders.  Did you know that Smithson, an English scientist who founded the Smithsonian, never set foot in the USA?  He bequueathed his estate to establish an institution in Washington, DC for the "increase and diffusion of knowledge." 


The Hope Diamond is huge.  I liked the diamond chain that surrounds it. . . .

Stuffed mammals of every description.  I didn't expect to enjoy the taxidermy, 
but being really close to the animals was very satisfying.  

Brother D was sure I had him on a "forced march," so the next day we did a tour via trolly.

The Washington Monument from across the Tidal Basin.





No comments: