Saturday, August 16, 2008

Another Long Day


We started the day in Cody, WY planning to drive to Devil's Tower and Rapid City, SD.  And we did, but we're really tired and the hotel-motel for tonight only has wi-fi in the LOBBY!!  Can you believe it?  There's a pool with a waterslide for the kids, but wi-fi only in the LOBBY!  (I was going to swim, but the postage stamp sized pool was too crowded.)  

Today's highlights: 9033 foot pass in the Bighorn Mountains, antelope sightings, beautiful Shell Canyon, the feeling of driving on the top of the world on the plateau at the pass.  The roads have been great, but all along I-90 are signs that say, I-90 closed when flashing, followed by gates like at a rail road crossing.  The sign will then say, "Turn back to Antelope," or whatever the last city was.  Oh my, I'm glad to be passing this way in August and not January or February.

Driving into Graybull, WY, a sign next to the road announced, "Big Horn Quilt Shop."  I thought B would jump out the sun roof!  So, we had to stop.  It's a shop she has frequented virtually, and here it is in a little town in Wyoming, in the flesh.  The shop was full of the greatest cottons I've seen in a long time, so I bought a few pieces to sew something for Miss C.  B shopped as well.  It's a good thing that fabric doesn't take up much room!!  We left there quite happy, both of us.

The biggest highlight today was Devil's Tower.  WOW.  It's a place that draws Spirit.  I want to see the "Close Encounters" movie once again.  Prairie dogs burrows fill the area at the base of the tower.  Birds flying on the thermals.  

J and I are enjoying people watching, figuring out where people are from, figuring out their stories.  Lots of stories. 

After a nice dinner, I'm feeling more human once again.

No comments: